MUMBAI: About 2.4 lakh aspirants have registered on the University of Mumbai portal for university admissions till Saturday – the last day for submitting forms. These figures do not include students from CBSE and ISC schools, as their Class XII results are still pending. This is the first time that admissions to university colleges in the city have started without CBSE and ISC students.
In accordance with the university’s schedule, the first merit list in colleges affiliated with the university will be released on June 29. Some college principals have raised concerns that the admissions season will be chaotic with the university firm over its decision to go ahead with the schedule without CBSE and ISC. results. As some of the sought-after autonomous colleges hold entrance tests for their self-funded courses, they will not be able to publish their merit list on June 29.
St Xavier’s College has issued an admission notice for BA, B Sc, B Com and BAF only for HSC and other state board students. “We follow the university calendar for HSC students, but CBSE and ISC students can continue to apply for these courses even after June 25. We will reserve places for students from other councils, but we haven’t finalized the percentage yet,” principal Rajendra Shinde said. For BMS, Mass Media and B Sc-IT, the college organizes an entrance test on July 2 and 3.
Jai Hind College Principal Ashok Wadia said they are currently doing admissions for their in-house students and have not yet met their open merit list for traditional courses. For the self-funded courses, they will hold an entrance test on June 30 and therefore will not publish their first merit list for these courses on June 29.
The university typically sees enrollments of around 2.5 to 2.8 lakh students every year. Last year, more pupils in Class XII were eligible for admissions as board exams were canceled and pupils were assessed on the basis of internal grades.